Monday, August 02, 2010

Muddling through Monday

>>Attended my first-ever high school class reunion, technically an all-class reunion as the official event cancelled due to lack of ticket sales. Interesting. Two-hundred folks crammed into the 42nd Street Oyster Bar and Grill in Raleigh, everyone staring at boobs at chests to read the name tags. Hard to catch up over the din, but a lot of fun quaffing Carolina Nut Brown Ale, chitting the chat, and wondering where the hell 30 years have gone.

>>Returning to North Carolina always makes me musive. My own word.

>>My mom is tough; broken hip, lousy lungs, yet she still gets excited in a fabric store when she's designing her quilts.

>>I've decided gratitude is under-rated. I've also determined that every asshole has an angel twin. To you angels -- the strangers who help my mother, the clerks who grace the world with smiles, to all those who remember and use the 'polite' words and mean them -- thank you.

The Reading... Oh what a disappointment in Anne Lamott's IMPERFECT BIRDS. Does it seem lately so many bona fide proven authors rush their endings? Like they're thinking, damn, I am so sick of this story, these characters? Felt the same way when I finished Niffenegger's latest... Reading some non-fiction for a change, plus several novular WIPs.

The Writing... Finishing up lots of little projects before I head back to the mountain in a week or so. Marketing-wise, sent out 8 pieces, gotten 2 rejects, no wins.

The Contest... a contest you say? Stay tuned, next post. Promise.

For my friends... a candle for all of you having tough times, for those of you who have lost friends and family. I am thinking of you.

Peace, Linda
>>

9 comments:

  1. You sound pensive...or maybe I'm projecting my mood onto you. :)
    Thoughtful post and I pass a candle right back to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I skipped my 30 this year. I saw them at the 20 :-) besides I went and got bigger clothes :-)
    Yes all smiles
    I so understand your mom's love of the fabric store...I can smell it now :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never been to a class reunion. Growing up in a family that constantly moved around didn't allow for any significant bonds. As such, there's no draw for me to venture back to the days of my youth.

    On writers who disappoint, I have also noticed how some recent writings of my favorite authors seem too rushed. More (e.g. more books per year) is not always a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Class reunions would make anyone pensive.
    I just finished a surprisingly great book that didn't disappoint in the least - The Five People You Meet in Heaven. Not as dorky as it sounds, and not religious, it's just simple writing with great characters and some surprising insights. Plus, it's short! Perfect summer reading.
    Mitch Albom, I think, is the writer.
    As for the rejects, well, what the hell do they know?
    Pfft to rejections and the rejectors who do the rejections. I say, reject them!
    (Need a smile? Go to facebook and look at Laura's recently posted photos...too funny!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Renewal in everything...glad you could enjoy NC and small pleasures..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Musive. I like that.

    I've managed to miss my 1st, 2nd, and 3rd high school reunions. Not intentionally. Actually paid for two out of three of them. Freudian?
    ~jon

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't been to a high school reunion yet and don't think I'd ever attend. Although I might out of morbid curiosity. Hope you had fun!

    I hope you get some good news on the marketing front.

    Jai

    ReplyDelete
  8. The 30th... think of it this way -- fodder for stories? Actually, it was quite fun, and seeing folks, even if talking at any level of initimacy was almost out of the question. I like the idea of a 30 year retreat -- get a handful of high school chums together for a weekend and explore: what have you done with your life? how have you treated people? how have you loved? what's next? Now that would be interesting.

    Off to check out fb -- and double pfffftttt on rejections. Peace...

    ReplyDelete