Thursday, October 07, 2010

Rules for Surviving Eighth Grade

Rule #1) Never hurry home. After soccer, hang out at the library. Try to get invited to Marcy’s house for dinner. Just don’t act too desperate.

Rule #2) Don’t have friends over. If they ask why, say, “My mom works nights and sleeps in the afternoon.”

Rule #3) When you do come home, don’t change the TV channel or mute the volume, even if she’s sleeping on the couch. It’s not worth the fight.

Rule #4) Go to bed early. Wake up early.

Rule #5) Never talk about it, even with Nana on the phone. Never, ever with teachers or the counselor. Better here than with your dad.

Rule #6) Never water down the Stoli. Then you’ll have to explain the bruises.

Rule #7) Keep the babysitting money in your locker for lunch and tampons.

Rule #8) Don’t sign up for band because you’ll need a ride to the concerts and she’s always losing her license.

Rule #9) Always listen when she says she loves you, even when she’s too drunk to remember the next day. Tell her you love her too, even if it’s a lie, and hope Jesus understands.

Rule #10) Hide your journal in the cellar behind the dryer – she never washes clothes and besides, she’s afraid of spiders and falling down the stairs. But don’t stash it under the same loose tile as the pot, just in case.

***

Trying out YA voices, so had some fun with this story, inspired by the 52-250 Flash a Year Challenge theme: unseen.

On the writing front, I'm workshopping BRIGHTER THAN BRIGHT (remember that novel?) through the end of the year in hopes of purtying it up for marketing. So I may be scarcer than usual. PURE is marinating until after the holidays, preparing for another skirmish with moi.

Live hard, write harder, love hardest. Peace...

25 comments:

  1. Wow. That's a powerful list. Amazing job with the YA voice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Linda, this is so sad, but brilliantly written. You've got the voice down-pat. Of course I don't write YA (at least not intentionally) but I can easily hear this from an eigth grader. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haunting and authentic. Well done.

    I'm going to go hug my puppy, to shake that off a little. In a good way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, this is heartbreaking, Linda. Such a strong drawing of this poor girl is in my mind now. Excellent work.

    Jai

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was sad, but I would say your experiment was a success. I could see this being a YA novel using something like this format.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ...and that picture is great. Nice choice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought the first few rules were leading us to mom being a prostitute, but infinitely prefer that she's a bottle drunk abused wife.

    Good piece.

    Marc Nash

    ReplyDelete
  8. How haunting and yes, great voice!
    Great news about the novels!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well that's a terrible life. The tone sounds appropriate enough for YA.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was curious about repeating #2's information in #4 - for such a short list, reinforcing that particular bit of information seems weird.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, your experiment worked.

    I especially liked #9. And #5 gave so much more story.

    You're very adept at telling whole stories in 250 or less.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Like John, I wondered about the repetition in #s 2 & 4. Good job with capturing the voice and the frustration.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks all for reading! I did have fun with this theme (once I got an idea), and ACK!!!!! John and Tim caught the cut-n-paste boo-boo when I was rearranging the order of the rules -- fixed now (thank you, dudes!).

    I've had no access to internet until this am, so off to read some flash with my coffee. Peace...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome writing, as usual. :)

    Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A very practical survival guide, although you left off #11: keep track of how many months you have left until you can leave and never look back.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Powerful story. We can only hope she can get through it all and turn out okay. Sounds like she's on the right track if she keeps following her rules. Good story!

    ReplyDelete
  17. those would be good rules. and yes Brighter than Bright

    oh btw did I say something about you at my place? wonder what it was, do be a dear and take a look for me please.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great YA voice. When I first started reading the story, it immediately reminded me of one of my favorite YA books from when I was a kid, the one where the narrator's voice immediately hooked me.

    ReplyDelete
  19. #9 packs a wallop. I like your hard harder hardest motto.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love writing experiments. It's how new genres are born. Good luck with your two exquisite novels. I look forward to having your books on my shelf. ehugs to you, sweet soul. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Everyone has rules. How sad that someone has to have rules like this. Even worse: that living with mother is the better option.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is so sadly and perfectly real. Excellent voice throughout.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hey all, thanks for reading. Tony, I like your rule #11 -- sometimes it's all we can do to just hang in there.

    Speaking of, between crazy work and not feeling well, I've been a bad blogger-hopper. I'm still making rounds on everyone's work, just slowly. I appreciate you taking the time to read and comment on this wee piece. Thanks, and peace...

    ReplyDelete