Thursday, September 23, 2010

I Should Not Have Rushed You Through The Rain

At the hospital, we know the routine. I haul out my laptop, emailing students, writing papers no one reads. You stare at the same first page of the John Grisham you’ve carted here for weeks. An hour passes. A nurse finally walks you to the bathroom to pee in a cup. Another hour. The phlebotomist ambles in and pricks your arm. Blood fills the tubes, purple and thick. Three hours. No doctor, no saline drip, no reassurances of ‘soon, soon’. On the way out for coffee, I blast the woman behind reception. I should realize when she says pharmacy hasn’t received orders to prep your erlotinib. But I don’t. I fume through the hospital lobby, paging the clinical trial coordinator, rescheduling lectures and exams, scowling at my watch.

When I return, the doc stands over you scrunched in the arm chair. He taps an x-ray and shakes his head. You push yourself up, using the armrests for leverage. It takes three tries, but at last you waver on your feet, hand extended. You thank him. The doctor leaves, not recognizing me when he passes, and you collapse. What looks like tears on your cheeks is sweat.

I wheel you down to valet parking. It’s late afternoon, the ride home will be hell. You reach back for my hand, squeeze it. A fine cool mist falls from the opaque sky and splatters crystals in your hair. You smile and try to say something, but the car arrives.

***

Inspired by this week's 52-250 theme 'The Last Time', chosen by YT. Inspired by a host of other things as well, including the last line of a short poem forthcoming soon in Camroc Press Review. The last year of my father's life was full of many lasts, for him and for me. Looking back, I realize that waiting in the rain was when he told me goodbye.

Between work and getting into school routines (2 kids, 2 schools), life's been rather chaotic; I apologize for not blog-hopping as much as I'd like. Soon, soon...

Live well, love better. Peace, Linda

27 comments:

  1. You're killing me Linda. Touching, right down to the bone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poignant, powerful, and full of truth. Bravo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My heart was in my throat throughout your story and your addendum. I, too, was the caregiver for my father and we had many lasts in his final year...it was so hard for him/us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been the guy in the chair often. Different condition, same condition, you know? I do smile at the end, and when I say something there, I make it funny.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was right there through your writing, the thick hours crawling in the waiting room, the cursory treatment and then re-emergence into the outside world. Great stuff

    Marc

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, now I'm gonna be crying all morning Linda. This is good stuff, per usual.
    Love this line: "You reach back for my hand, squeeze it. A fine cool mist falls from the opaque sky and splatters crystals in your hair."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Deanna pointed out my favourite line. So much is said there. Poignant and beautifully written as always.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow you write well.
    And the subject matter... sigh.
    Hugs to you. Big hugs.
    And thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was so moving. Everyone's used the word 'poignant' but there really is no better one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Reminds me of certain times something like this happened in my family. She always came out with a smile and a grin. Somehow, she was the one who enjoyed life the most out of all of us. Still marvel at that, years after she's gone.

    First time time a piece ever reminded me of that enough to brings tears.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved the feeling of stoicism, marked at the end with shimmering crystals from the sky.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Quite teary at moment after reading this beautifully sad memory.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Outstanding voice in this piece. I always love the clinical aspect you put into the deeper meanings of your writing - it is a nice contrast.
    That title is amazing with this piece! Excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you all for reading and your kind words. I'm glad mine moved you. We all mourn and sit shiva in our own unique ways -- this is yet another story on my wailing wall. Peace...

    ReplyDelete
  15. A poignant snapshot from your life. Thank you for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Powerful story. Very sad situation, but it makes for a moving story. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is like a clear and vivid snapshot. I love the title.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is so touching and I remember you posted something else about this subject that was similar. That touched me deeply too.

    The grief of losing a loved one is so universal. Even those who've never had to cope with it can understand.

    Jai

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just beautiful and, yes, the overused word 'poignant'.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This one hits close to home, while I wasn't the caregiver to my grandfather, all the last moments stay so sharp, even if I didn't realize they were our 'lasts' at the time.
    Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Linda... I'm late to the game here but what a sad (but beautifully told) tale... Really bummed me out ... But you did it so well.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is just so beautifully written and I recognized the scene instantly, because I've been there myself while my mom was undergoing cancer treatment. I realized immediately that this wasn't fiction. You wrote this too well, and with too much heart. Bravo.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm not sure how anyone could NOT feel that story all the way to their marrow.

    This line in your addendum made my eyes start to bubble:
    'Looking back, I realize that waiting in the rain was when he told me goodbye.'

    The last--last.

    So final.
    Good stuff friend.

    ReplyDelete
  24. You capture well here all the conflicting emotions, and in such vivid, rich prose. I'm always amazed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you all for reading and taking the time to comment.

    I promise, before the year is up, to write something with a happy ending. Promise. Peace...

    ReplyDelete
  26. This was very touching. As to happy endings, you have to write what moves you, be it happy, or not. Your writing always rings true.
    ~jon

    ReplyDelete