Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Gratitude #27

The world's full of glass-half-empty types, folks who drain the room of positivity like a vacuum sucks dust. Here's to those who persist in their vision, in refusing to let the dogs get them down, who BELIEVE in themselves and the goodness of humanity.

Got gratitude? Well there's just THREE -- count them -- THREE more days left in the 30 Days of Gratitude celebration.

Add a gratitude of your choice and up the size of the checks I write for hospice and the crisis center. And you might win a goodie basket full of wonderful readerly items, plus an interview with moi.

***

The Writing... it goes, it goes. Editing's so slow. Got a hundred pages of PURE to clean up, then I'll throw in a drawer until I start my next GOTHAM novel workshop in October. I'm still managing to eke out a shortie fiction piece every week for 52/250 and #fridayflash. Look for a funky collaborative story coming soon at The Bijou. A noirish piece, my friends will be so happy to see me stretching into other genre.

The Marketing... sigh. Sigh, sigh, sigh... I have sent out 17 submissions and am racking up rejections faster than a fly finds poop. Which makes me feel like poop.

The Reading... have I said how much I LOVED The Corrections? So much I've ordered Franzen's Freedom. Meanwhile, starting in on Tinkers, the thin volume which netted the big kahuna of writing prizes earlier this year, and am thick into Dave Carr's Night of the Gun, a fascinating memoir of a journalist's spiral into - and out -- of addiction, gifted to me by writing buddy and friend CHRYS (thank YOU!).

Peace, Linda

4 comments:

  1. I'm grateful to have a hubby who understands that when I'm furiously writing he's to walk away and not interrupt the flow! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in pretty much the same boat as you although I haven't sent out my submissions yet. I'm still working on the query letter.

    My revisions are going sloooooow. Hate it.

    Meanwhile, I'm grateful that I have friends who understand what I'm going through.

    Jai

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you're still plugging away at PURE. Good luck at Gotham. Hurray! You're stretching into Noir. Next thing I know, you'll be giving a whirl at westerns! It's good to step out of your comfort zone and try something new. Even if it doesn't bring success, it is worth it just for the experience.

    Keep marketing. Rejections do have stingers but after a while you build up an immunity and when that partial or full request comes in -- it feels exhilarating. BTW, you are not poop, but I can empathize. I've been through the wringer myself more than a few times as you already know. Shoot me an email if you want another set of eyes on the query.

    Franzen huh? I think agent/writer Jason Pinter just wrote an article about that guy.

    Sweet melancholy. The kids are off to school. :)

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been wavering about continuing to write flash.. wavering, wavering, wavering... so I'm grateful to you for saying you're still managing to "eke" out your52/250 and fridayflash. It gives me more to think about.
    Selfishly speaking I was very grateful to get our divorces finalized and also grateful to pick up our marriage licence yesterday.
    I am grateful that a performance review at work yesterday went even better than I hoped.
    I am grateful for good friends, both in real life and online.
    I'm grateful that cool weather has returned. Finally.

    ReplyDelete