Saturday, April 10, 2010

Summer


Orange smudges
your distant horizon
the end of your world:
waves collide with sky,
churn orange into
some kind of molten lava
or a Creamsicle savored
later when the sand
burns our undersoles.




Today's prompt: horror

I tried. Really, I did. My horror-writing friends know I've wanted to stretch in this direction. But... I couldn't get it up, despite blasting Bodysnatchers (Radiohead, In Rainbows) at full volume all afternoon between errands. I tried to get myself into a dark place, a gory place, but... the sun was shining too brightly, the vast amount of coffee drunk all morning, the late breakfast of feta omelette and more coffee, the fabulous yard sales (including this gorgeous Native American terracotta and black slip vase by Armanda Rodriguez for two bucks but might be worth --> THIS and books, of course, including oodles of YA stuff), and the long walk, the roasted asparagus and hamburgers on the grill, and the glass (or two) of homemade traminer-reisling, I mean... I just thought of summer all day. Horror-ible. I know. Whatever.

At least I'm happy.

Peace, Linda

8 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're happy too. But next time pull down all the blinds and paint thick black eyeliner all around your eyes. Then cover your head with a hood and start writing. I find that works for me.

    Also, make sure you don't cry while writing because otherwise your computer will be covered with eyeliner.

    Jai

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would sooo hang with you if you were my neighbor. That sounds like the perfect day, right on down to the traminer-reisling. Sometimes there is enough horror in the world already. I enjoyed your slice of summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait. I love this post. And I hate everything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I liked it. Sometimes happy trumps everything. I'm glad you're happy. Your post started my morning off that way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks yummy!

    see thats sorta what I told Geo, how is a rainbows and butterflies poet to write horror...okay so I'm not really so much, always a flying rainbow but I had a bit of a time and when I read it to my Beloved he said, "and?" I said thats it, "oh, I thought is was supposed to scare me." Yeah, said I but you are unscarable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha! You are too cute, Linda.

    I'd rather have your sunshine than horror. Beautiful tribute to summer time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Uh, excuse me, but I think there's a lot of kids out there that would find the idea of a wasted creamsicle absolutely terrifying.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha, you guys make me smile - thanks! And thanks for reading my poem du jour. GP, you are so welcome to hang with me -- come on over. Indeed, all of you come on over -- then garden is SMASHING now with daffodils, muscari, and lilac.

    LPC, thank you for gracing my blog -- glad you found me. Off to check out your cyber digs.

    Paige, you make me giggle. Are you posting yours on Robert's blog?

    Mark, NOTHING is worse to a child than losing dessert. I know - I have two of my own.

    Peace, Linda

    ReplyDelete