Monday, October 18, 2010

Doppelgangers and Other Detritus

Isn't it funny how, when you're in the thick of a story, you see your characters everywhere? When I was in DC a week ago, one of the speakers at the mental health conference was a shoo-in for my Ben. Same name, same field, same physique, same hair, same age, even the same damn Ivy League institution. Freaky. And then, this weekend in Mount Washington the waitress was a clone of Althea. Pinch me...

***

Work is a lot like Survivor these days. Lots of whispering, behind-closed-doors-crud, alliances formed and broken. I just wish I could find the damn immunity idol.

***

This weekend my kids and I took a clay class together. I had more fun than the kiddos, and twisting coils and cutting slabs made me realize how much I missed working in this medium. Clay will be part of my 5-year plan.

***

I found out I 'won' a beautiful native American flute. Gorgeous creature, made of cedar and walnut. Birthed into this world by KEN LIGHT, a master flute maker. Now I need to learn how to play it. Also part of the 5-year plan.

***

I'm assembling a chapbook of short stories and prose poems. Not sure what I'll do with it, but it is mighty satisfying to see the words I've created assembled into a manuscript.

***

The Reading... Mary Gaitskill's BAD BEHAVIOR. Deliciously decadent. A slew of books winging my way NOW -- Tim Horvath, Matt Bell, Hint Fiction. Yum.

The Writing... A flash a week is about all I can eke out for new stuff. Otherwise, editing and revising through to the end of Brighter than Bright. I am in turns amazed at how good and horrified at how awful various sections read.

MUST READ ==> The chilling story CHARCOAL/VANILLA by Spencer Dew. While you're at the NEW Fall Issue of JMWW, mosey around and read Tim Horvath, Terese Svoboda, Ken Sparling, and all the other great stuff.

MUST RETURN ==> Here. Wednesday. To read about my gratitude for Cathy (Ouliffe) Webster.

MUST RELAX ==> Monday is over. Please, sit down and pour yourself a Drambuie.

Love. Live. Laugh. And don't sweat the small stuff. Peace, Linda

5 comments:

  1. Sometimes it's so hard to remember to not sweat the small stuff...sigh. :) Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the flow of your words. So glad I found you.


    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many fabulous things all in one post!

    I bet the flute is gorgeous. I've always admired that instrument and find it's music to be mesmerizing.

    I know what you mean about seeing your own characters every where. It happens to me sometimes too.

    I've never worked in clay but I've always wanted to make at least one pot. Kind of like some people want to write at least one book.

    Have fun assembling that manuscript! I have a feeling that will be very fulfilling.

    Jai

    ReplyDelete
  4. lots of good stuff here.

    stupid office crap

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stupid office crap indeed.

    Perspective is everything. It's so much harder to keep positive than negative.

    Thanks for reading, all. And thank you for dropping by with such kind words, Cassiopeia Rises (lovely name). Peace...

    ReplyDelete