Sunday, October 03, 2010

I Am Grateful for... UMBRELLALADY!

Who is this mysterious Umbrellalady, who pops by blogs and leaves marvelous comments full of wisdom and kindness? This is the question I wondered myself, especially when I ran my 30 Days of Gratitude challenge and she offered up a gratitude nearly every single day.

I envisioned a kindly Mary Poppins, surrounded by children and animals, leaping through the air with a smile on her face. I found Kathy Bruederlin at her blog QUILT SEAMS JUST RIGHT, rambling about quilting, cooking, creating, maing wine, and life in general. Sounds good to me!

Kathy was the most prolific of gratitude commenters and found gratitude in many small things we take for granted. Now a chance for you meet this most wonderful woman from the North. In her own words...

What three things are you most grateful for today?
1) Just being, because I almost wasn't and that is pretty scary. I know I say this frequently but it is because I truly am grateful for being here every day and consider myself one of the luckiest persons in the world.

2) The cold rain finally quit. I hate getting rained on and we had a fire drill yesterday in the pouring rain. I guess the principal forgot to tell the new vice-principal that fire drills are supposed to only fall on dry days and she scheduled this one without this rather important tidbit of information. We had a few hundred teenagers and many very cold, soaking wet staff who were definitely not very impressed. (I am not called umbrellalady without a reason - my umbrella was quite happily in my bag that was with me!! I shared...)

3) Kiwi the dog. She always greets me at the door with a happy heart that she shares freely, which speaks for itself.

What gives you the most joy?
The fact that I am here and enjoy life, not only the good times but those lousy, rotten times as well. How else would you know if you were happy if you weren't ever sad? The other thing that gives me a lot of joy is sharing with and giving to others - sometimes to people who are close to me and other times just because I can help someone out.

On a scale of 1 to 10, where when 10 is as blissed out as one could be, where would you rate your mean happiness?
I would say that on average I am a pretty solid 7/8 (7.5?) on the happiness scale. I have a wonderful, somewhat quirky husband and two beautiful daughters who make my life so happy. I am a person who finds joy in the little things in life (like baking bread, doggy and kitty kisses - sort of, lack of mosquitoes), and in the big things are like winning a lottery, like a new fancy-schmancy sidewalk and small patio in the back yard coming up at the end of this month!

My mother used to say to tell me when I was a child, I was so happy I always woke up with a huge smile on my face. I actually remember this because I used to love waking up nice and cozy under my ballerina quilt and see the sunlight shining in. It always felt so darn good.

What impedes your ability to attaining joy?
My greatest obstacle to achieving happiness is myself - I am my biggest critic and am way, way too empathetic to other people's problems. However, if I got any happier, I would be more obnoxious than I already am, lol!

I can always tell when I am super happy because I start singing to myself. The odd thing is that I don't even realize I am doing it until someone asks me why I am singing. I guess it just feels good and it just spills out of me. Corny - eh?

Thank you for sharing yourself with me and the rest of the blogging community. Keep on spreading your cheer. And here's one for you...


louis armstrong "what a wonderful world"
Uploaded by GO-GO-STALIN. - Music videos, artist interviews, concerts and more.


Peace, Linda

6 comments:

  1. What a lovely post, Linda, honouring Kathy Bruederlin! It's wonderful to know that there are people out there who are bright sparks of friendship and thoughtfulness. It is, indeed, a wonderful world.

    Jai

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely subject matter for an interview.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to find out more about everyone's favourite Mary Poppins. I went to Kathy's blog, loved it, and became a follower. (Her cat and wine bottle story made me laugh!)
    And oh, this post reminds me that I am remiss, Linda. I will get on this immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "How else would you know if you were happy if you weren't ever sad?" - What a very good point. Sadness is a part of life, but it really helps us appreciate the happy times.

    I love the image of a happy little girl waking up under her ballerina quilt.

    Thanks, Linda and Kathy, for the great start to the day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We all have the choice to choose how we want to perceive and react towards life, though many of us cannot make it look as easy as Kathy seems to.
    Cheers to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kathy is quite wunderbar! And someday soon I will roadtrip to Canada to visit all those grateful grand dames!

    Laurita, you're up next week! And Cathy, please... get on with honeymoon already ;^)

    Peace...

    ReplyDelete