Wednesday, January 02, 2013

Seven Year Itch

Hard to believe I've been writing seven years. I remember feeling this urge, a compulsion, to write about someone named Benjamin Michael and all his unnamed troubles seven years ago today. Back then, I thought I was, like my protagnist, insane. Later I found out it was merely the muse grabbing me by my female balls and handing me one of the greatest gifts I have ever received.

I had dinner tonight with friends. Three of us, all artists, spoke about how we often felt we had no choice in creating--the creation chose us, we served to channel something greater than ourselves. The energy one feels while in the flow is remarkable, miraculous, and once touched you always want it. The elusivity of the muse is one thing that spurs me on to write, the desire to be consumed by its gift, for most of the time creating feels a futile task, one word marching before the next. Creation at times feels like duty, an onerous task.

I feel grateful writing chose me. I feel thankful for the inspiration, for the dreams and ideas that spawn Benjamin Michael and all my other characters and their worlds. Mostly, though, I am thankful for all of you who read my words, for without an audience, a writer is but a lone tree falling in a desolate forest.

Peace...

5 comments:

  1. And I am more than grateful that writing chose you, and that you listened to the call. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am glad you had that itch Linda. I'm amazed that you've only been writing for seven years - it seems to me you've been creating magical stories for a lifetime. Here's wishing you many more years of joyous writing, and us many more years of reading your fantastic work! Thank you so much for sharing your gift with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're not thinking of buying a shiny red sports car, are you?

    Congratulations on seven years! You are seemingly born to write and what's hard to believe is that you only took up the pen seven years ago. May there be many, many more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And look how you've evolved in those seven years!
    What does the next seven hold for you?

    I can't wait to find out.

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Linda,

    Congratulations on 7 years!

    You know, I don't know exactly how this happened but the other day, I was looking for something on my comp and opened a bunch of files that might be it, and one of those files that opened was a version of Brighter than Bright from several years ago. I really hope you're still working on it b/c it brought me back to how magical and well-written it is.

    <3
    EJ

    ReplyDelete