Thursday, July 28, 2011

Drip

Every day you Mama flirts with Constantine in this goddamn market, maybe he you daddy. But you lick you ice cream, little pink tongue like a cat’s, flick, flick. Lick fast, girl, the heat’s gonna melt it. Like summer’s melting me. I ‘member when I ate ice cream with my mama. Ten years? Twenty? Dunno how old I am, but I ‘member how the cold creamy freeze my brain. What? You holding that cone out for me? Spit rushes, my fingers twitch close, and you jump, drop the damn thing, laughing at me scooping the mess off the sidewalk, all greedy.

***

A retread from last summer, but certainly I feel the heat pulsing back up at the pavement at me a year later. Originally Published in Dog Days of Summer, an anthology of 100 word stories pulled together by Michael Solender. Read on for more summer heat. Peace...

11 comments:

  1. No matter what you write, you pull me into the characters narrative. I'm in awe. (Hugs)Indigo

    ReplyDelete
  2. loved it then - love it now - great piece linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Didn't read this piece before, but I like it. The voice is really great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how you take on the voice of the character in this one. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like the others have already mentioned, you truly captured the voice in this one, and it's that voice that makes the reader want to know more. Cool read, Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ditto what everyone else said - excellent voice in this! Glad you reposted Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Linda... You master the voice so well... A gift.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Packs so much into so short a story. Lots of impact.

    ReplyDelete
  9. well i rarely leaves comment on any site but your blog is really so amazing that i can't stop myself from making comment on it...

    ReplyDelete
  10. that gets more interesting the more times you read it. Lot of intense layers in 100 words.
    Very nicely done.

    ReplyDelete