Thursday, December 18, 2008

Jelly Knees

Today feels like New Year's Eve two weeks early.

Lectures done. Tests graded. Papers marked. Conferences - been there, done that. Chapter for textbook - submitted. Science manuscripts - completed. Promotion and tenure packet and reference letters - in the hopper. Holiday cards - ordered. Dad's 7-week chemo and radiation regimen - over.

I've been weepy all day, my knees wobbly at the notion of not rushing, not worrying, not doing a damn thing.

Except what I want to do.

I write, but I can't put into words the intensity of the past 4 months: the intensity of deliverables, of time, of emotion. Of not knowing. Of the way my brain never stopped, how it kept whirring away lists and worries like a forest of cicadas in July.

THE WRITING... New ideas already jockeying for the freed-up space in my frontal lobe. PURE percolates through the gray matter, as does a children's Christmas story and several 6S flashes due at the end of the year. A new story, a YA about Jess and Zeke, two orphaned brothers, dominated several pages in my Moleskine this morning. And of course, LOVE SONG ON THE INNER LOOP keeps peeping over my shoulder.

THE READING... I KNOW THIS MUCH IS TRUE by Wally Lamb. A reread. So damn good, and primer for his latest which I HOPE is in my stocking.

Peace, Linda

4 comments:

  1. Wow, Linda, we must be on the same wavelength this week. I'm reading Wally Lamb, too--I'll Fly Away. And his latest is on my Christmas list also. I love the quiet dignity he infuses his characters with. It's been too long since he's had something out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a feeling you'll keep that brain of yours busy, good luck with all the writing projects. Take care, Gillin

    ReplyDelete
  3. First, let me offer you my sympathies for all that you're going through. That you've been able to defy the obstacles and still care of the ones you love, and then pound out your NaNoWriMo project, is truly an amazing display of character and tenacity. I'm proud of you.

    I've never read Wally Lamb. I'll have to check him out.

    Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Greta, we should have a reading group - we have similar sensibilities! Can't wait to tear into Wally's latest...

    Gillian, I am thrilled to have empty space in my head. I'm not gonna fill it too soon, maybe after the holiday madness.

    Stephen, thanks. It has been an extremely difficult year; seeing that proverbial light at the end is a godsend. Peace, Linda

    ReplyDelete