Friday, October 05, 2007

Tonight I Rest...

Today BRIGHTER THAN BRIGHT printed off hot and beautiful onto 20 pound white paper. All 642 pages, 123,992 words. Finito. Exactly three weeks past my self-imposed deadline of September 15, but better late than never.

It was the ending that delayed me. Two months spent on the last 50 or 60 pages. Not sure why it was so difficult, I suspect psychology was involved. I simply couldn't get into Phoebe's head, make her FEEL. Really respond to Ben, the situation. How does she FEEL? My Nudge-Nudge Collective pushed me to the limit, three versions in a week. How grateful I am for their tough love (Thank you, dear friends...). But early this morning, as the gentle fog reflected the soft glow of the streetlamps, I found my flow, cranked it out, tweaked it over lunch, and... Voila!

This, of course, is the end of the beginning...again. I packed the 642 pages into a fedex and shipped it to Chrys, who is valiantly taking on a third reading. I'll do the same with her MOONCHILD memoir. My friend Jimmy is reading from the beginning as I read his DARK SIDE OF THE SOUL. He's found omissions and redundancies that a dozen passes by six pairs of eyes missed. I'll continue revising - his suggestions are almost always spot on - and wait for Chrys to give me her verdict.

But for now, I rest. Let the book marinate in its juices. Peace, Linda

4 comments:

  1. If I've said it a hundred times, I'll say it again - I CAN'T WAIT to read this version. I know it's going to rock!

    And yes, rest yourself. You have done a great and exhausting thing.

    I'm a little behind on deadline, but hopefully by the end of this weekend....

    GO YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! Best wishes on your MS! I read your piece at Six Sentences. It made me curious enough to click over to your blog. I enjoy your work. Peace!

    ReplyDelete
  3. just tell me. was it wonderful? was it everything we hope and believe it to be? sigh...

    finito.

    is there a more beautiful word?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chrys, I can't wait to read MOONCHILD Version 3. Form what I read onthe Collective, I know that this will be a fast read.

    Rebecca, thanks for dropping in. I'll scurry over to Flash Fiction myself... my quick stop-in looked delicious.

    Yes, Twiz, FINITO feels good every time I write it. On this version (#7 full rewrite) I actually deleted #6's THE END so I could retype those six magic words. I have to admit, I cried. Jeesh, this novel writing thing is almost as emotional as birthing a babe. You'll be there soon, friend...

    ReplyDelete