Tuesday, November 12, 2013

WHERE I AM and WHERE I'VE BEEN

I'm on sabbatical, which means my daily day is not my usual daily day. Sure, I go to my actual office every 2-3 weeks, mostly to meet with my graduate students and post-docs, and to review research projects. Because none of those go away on sabbatical. But the rest of the stuff--the committee meetings, the lectures, the administrative duties--have (mostly) disappeared.

Most folks on sabbatical go exotic places--Thailand, Italy, India--or work at another institution. My life with kids precluded extended travel, but I have been on a few short trips:

1. BOSTON! Well, Cambridge. And beyond. My favorite place in the world. My graduate student and I went to attend a totally unique conference--geospatial analysis approaches to health problems. A fancy phrase for mapping. Very cool to look at the association of risk and protective factors in 3-D. And did I mention my brilliant student won the Conference's Communication award for her poster on national treatment admissions for prescription opioid abuse? We ate lobster fra diavalo in the North End to celebrate. I spent the rest of the week catching up with colleagues and dear friends and my wonderful Aunt, visits that took me to Waltham, North Reading, Leicester, and Newport.

2. JOHNS HOPKINS! My office away from work. I have a class on the Homewood Campus on Tuesdays, and it is bucolic in the afternoon. I grab a caramel latte and sit on a bench and write and think and wish I was a college student again. 

3. NEW YORK CITY! I'm here NOW. Kind of. I'm taking a non-fiction book proposal course with GOTHAM. Tell me, would you pick this up if you saw it in Barnes and Noble: Un-Balanced: The Epidemic of Prescription Drug Abuse and the Programs and Policies that Got Us There?

4. TAOS, NEW MEXICO! A gorgeous place, with snow-capped mountains and arid desert. I'm digging clay from the earth--here, it sparkles with mica--to make pots the way the Taos Pueblo Indians do. Rather, my character Sheila is in Taos, but through her I get to live vicariously.

5. REISTERSTOWN, MARYLAND! Home sweet home. I spend most of my day at my desk, working on manuscripts and research proposals and gearing up for a new NIH-funded grant on COPD and Depression in Older Adults. I read a lot, including David Sheff's new book CLEAN, which deals with the piss-poor way our society deals with addiction. Timely and important stuff. I see my kids get on and off the bus, and get to make smoothies for them, and help with homework, and eat lunch with my husband.

Nothing fancy, but the rest has done me good. I am bursting with ideas, and that's what a sabbatical is supposed to be all about. Peace...


11 comments:

  1. It is a wonderful life, at least the way you describe it. Well written and enjoy your free time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been a good 4 months--I have no idea how I will re-immerse myself into my 'old' life...

      Delete
  2. You are so deserving of this. I am incredibly happy to see you have the opportunity to be living in your truth this way. No doubt it will produce wonderful things that will benefit us all. Love and hugs to you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone--especially working parents--deserves a sabbatical. That has been its greatest gift--spending more time with my kids.

      Delete
  3. Wow. Such a full life. Sabbatical - but certainly not a dormant period. And yes, I would pick up Un-balanced. As a consumer of medication I often worry that there are too many, that they are too quickly prescribed, and am always open to education.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe in living life to its fullest. Though being 'dormant' is perhaps the most important part of being creative--there is where ideas fester. The first 2 months of my sabbatical were largely spent in my hammock! I'll be happy to send you an autographed copy of my book--once it is written, and published!

      Delete
  4. It is lovely to hear how you have been. Good for you. "Bursting with ideas" is a wonderful feeling. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Madame Fouquet! Busting with ideas is the best place to be when you are a writer. And so happy for you, prolific one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I miss Tuesday night lattes! (Cafe is closed on Saturdays...blargh) Glad you're enjoying sabbatical :) Can't wait to see you next semester!

    ReplyDelete
  7. May your sabbatical restore you, even as it shuffles you over so much geography!

    I probably wouldn't pick up the drug book, at least not based on its title. Prescription policies are things I get enough about on my Facebook feed and in the major news that it would have to be a more specific hook than promising to point the finger at the bad guys responsible.

    ReplyDelete