Thursday, October 30, 2008

Trick or Meme...


PAIGE tormented a few of us - now it's my turn, the day of tricks and treats and the hallowed eve of NaNoWriMo. Seven answers to seven questions...

1. It is your lucky day what are you going to do?Spend a day with all my family and friends at an enoteca in Montepulciano, sipping Brunello and munching on pane et prosciutto et parmiagiana, replete with poetry and prose readings, impromptu singing, and other celebratory outbursts.

2. What was the game you played as a child that you almost always or always did win? Scrabble. It's all in the words.

3. You get to meet anyone from the past or present who will it be? Isaac Asimov. He created characters and worlds I could never imagine. I want to know his thought process. And there's always the science, of course.

4. When you relax what is it that you do? Relax? You must be kidding. Write novels. Poetry. Try to get the damn things published.

5. What is your favorite number? 13. Really.

6. What was the name of your favorite childhood toy? Legos. If I wasn't reading, I was making houses and spaceships and other whirligiggy things.

7. If you could name the next fashion fade/craze what would it be? The Frump look. Casual, comfy, black, with that slight nerd edge. Notebook under arm and pen behind ear de rigeur.

And I tag... HOPE, STEPHEN, MJ, CHRYS, DEBORAH, and GILLIAN. I'll tap another later, gotta head to work...

THE READING... Reading will take second fiddle during November, but next up - BEL CANTO (again) and SNOW. Though I noticed Anita Shreve has a new one out...

THE WRITING... NANOWRIMO, but of course. Commences tomorrow @ 5 AM. Thank goddess I'm still jet-lagging...

Two poems - MONDAY MORNING WHEN THE GARBAGE TRUCK COMES and YELLOW - both placed in the top 100 of the Writer's Digest 77th Annual Writing Competition. BOTH emerged as first drafts in NaPoWriMo this past April which speaks to the possible power of writing under pressure.

On Serendipity aka Persistence... 15 years ago when I was desperately looking for data for my dissertation, it was my convo monologue. My family, friends, colleagues, strangers all heard my plaintive plea - do you have data? It worked - I got my data. Now, marketing BRIGHTER THAN BRIGHT, I ask - do you know an agent? So far, so good - two contacts through my Public Health colleagues. Can't hurt...

Happy writing. Reading. Living. Peace, Lind

4 comments:

  1. Mmmm, o.k. will post answers on my blog.
    Cangrats on being placed in the poetry contest, where can I go to read these.
    Here's to Nov and our sanity.
    Take care, Gillian

    ReplyDelete
  2. You memed me! You did!

    For this I spike your chocolate kisses with ... um ... EXTRA CAFFEINE!!!

    =)

    I need to get on your contest-list. If they aren't listed in Writer's Digest, I don't usually know about them. Hrmph.

    Is it midnight yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. *flinging more Butterfingers in the general direction of MD*

    Nano'ing is hard work. You must keep your strength up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hip-hip-hooray for Nano-anity!

    Ah, thanks for the butterfingers - my energy is lagging just thinking about the 146 exams to grade tonight while watching the elction returns. is it ethical, I wonder, to drink wine while multi-tasking? No NaNo for me tonight, alas... Peace, Linda

    ReplyDelete