Monday, June 11, 2012

Currantly...

Up to my elbows in these tart pink berries. My bush, prolific every summer, went ripe over the weekend. I picked close to two gallons Sunday morning.

Eaten out of hand, red currants will make your mouth pucker. But pressed with a pestle through a fine mesh sieve, the juice can be made into many splendoriferous delights.

I got almost six cups of juice. I froze five cups for red currant sorbet, to reduce with red wine for a pork loin glaze, and to mix with raspberries later this summer for jam.

One cup went to make this delicious red currant chiffon pie. I had seen the recipe two years ago and finally had the chance to make it. I varied the pie crust, using shortbread cookie crumbs held together with melted butter, the entire crust baked for 15 minutes until browned. Then, the filling: 3 eggs yolks beaten with 1 cup currant juice, 2 TBP lemon juice, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 tsp salt, and one packet unflavored gelatin. The entire mixture warmed over medium heat until frothed to a boil. Cooled for ~45 minutes
until the texture of corn syrup. Then, 3 egg whites beaten to soft peaks, with 1/4 cup sugar gradually added and beaten until stiff peaks. The egg whites folded into the cooled currant mixture. Then beat 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream to soft peaks, and fold into the currant mixture. Pour into pie shell and chill ~1 hour.
 
Delish. And in less than 24 hours, almost gone. Peace...




3 comments:

  1. Oh it is. Believe me. Breakfast. Yum. And very easy. Peace...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how I would love a piece of that. No, not just a piece...perhaps everything left in the pie plate. And then, of course, I'd order you to make more...

    ReplyDelete