Thursday, January 01, 2009

To Look for Joy...

This I resolve in 2009.

Joy can be small and hidden, not always grandiose and pompous. Joy sneaks in on ocean swells, on breaths of air, on thunderclouds.

Seeking joy is no passive endeavor; the journey involves both indulgence and discipline. I am more comfortable with the latter, so this year I will gift myself with the rarest of resources: time, self-kindness, and permission to say no to time- and energy- drainers.

My writing goals are minimal:

--Write every day.
--Read every day.
--Continually market what I have written.
--Seek representation.
--Continue to enjoy the process.
--Build community.
--Give my brutal kindness to my writing group.

Find joy where you can, and hold on tight... Peace, Linda

9 comments:

  1. Good luck with the resolutions, I know you will succeed.
    Joy, most people don't find it simply because they are too busy to notice the little things in life that can bring pleasure.
    Hope the year ahead is filled with happiness and health for you and your family.
    Take care, Gillian

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your writing goals. Writing every day is on the top of my list too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda, these are great goals. Write every day. If you do that, you're bound to get somewhere.

    Greta

    ReplyDelete
  4. those are some great goals...
    mine are
    write a poem a day
    actually submit my work
    organize my themed collections of poems
    and newly to take a photo a day-post coming soon to a Paradise Valley near you. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. those are some great goals...
    mine are
    write a poem a day
    actually submit my work
    organize my themed collections of poems
    and newly to take a photo a day-post coming soon to a Paradise Valley near you. lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. For a woman who continually gives out Peace, finding Joy should come easily.

    On the lighter side, I found Joy once. Then she flipped me the bird and said, "Get lost creep." ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gillian, Exactly! On that joy thing...

    If I don't write every day, I get cranky. It's not always 'new' writing (ie, it might be editing), but I have to move forward on my creative stuff every day or mommie gets a time out...

    Stephen, I try to remind myself daily that I have so much, but sometimes I lose my way... your 'Joy' missed out - big-time!

    Peace, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  8. a wonderful list, linda!
    good luck on your writing goals!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Cindy! Happy New Year! Peace, Linda

    ReplyDelete